Race Report CIV Supersport Round 5 Mugello

 In News

Hello everyone.

We were back for the fifth round of the 2021 season at the Mugello circuit, it has always been a circuit I have enjoyed, as this is a track as there are a mixture of fast flowing corners and many chicanes.


We had three free practice sessions, these sessions are important to find a good rhythm and a good feeling from the bike, especially this weekend. I had been having problems steering the bike from the start of the season and after a discussion with the Andreani suspension specialists at the last round we discovered an underlying problem, so we had new suspension cartridges in the front forks for this round.

We started having a technical problem with the engine cutting out which continued throughout the day, and I was not able to complete many laps. The team continued working through the night to find the solution and to be ready for qualifying one on Friday.


Friday started with free practice one and a provisional qualifying for the afternoon. During the day I again had problems with my bike and was only able to complete a total of six laps during the day. We had an electrical problem that affected the engine acceleration and on four occasions the bike completely stopped, despite the minimal laps and challenges I qualified. Once again, the team were up until 4am in the morning turning the bike inside out to find the problem and put the bike back together for Saturday.


Saturday consisted of qualifying two and the first race of the weekend. rain hit us in the morning and prevented the times from being improved on qualifying one so we would start race one from sixteenth position. The start of the race was going quite well, with making a great start and picking off positions on the first lap but as I came around for the second lap unfortunately the bike started to cut in and out and by the end of lap two the bike had stopped completely, and I had to pull out of the race. It was very frustrating for everyone as the team had changed, the wiring harness, all the sensors, the engine stator. The last option was to change the engine and try it in Sunday morning warm up.


Moring warm up went great, we thought the problems were finally solved, and I had a good feeling on the bike with old tires and I was confident on the bike.

In race two, I made a cracking start and choose the outside line in turn one, I was able to pass several riders and position myself well in the first sector, by the end of lap one I was in sixth. Lap two I was in the leading group, and I felt strong on the bike. I was calm and hitting all my markers perfect, then on the start of lap three I lost power until eventually the bike came to a stop, the bike blew a puff of smoke from the exhaust. I was devastated as I had a great chance at the podium, I could not wrap my head around all the tech problems we had throughout the weekend. The positives are we now have a good feeling with the bike and despite everything I was able to show my true potential in the race.

The team will be working hard to make sure this does not happen again, and I would like to thank them for all the effort they put in on the weekend.

Thanks to my sponsors, supporters, and family,


Translate »